Nut Free Paleo Banana Zucchini Muffins

There are so many recipes for paleo zucchini bread and paleo banana muffins that I decided to merge these two beautiful food spheres into one. I love opportunities to blend fruit with vegetable, and these muffins are part of a growing body of evidence that we should do this all the time.

Paleo Banana Muffins

The full title for this very moist banana bread recipe is: Banana Zucchini Vanilla Awesome Muffins, in case you were curious. I’m tempted to call these “muffcakes” because these are way more decadent than traditional bread. The banana lends a lovely smoothness, the coconut flour and egg puff up the perky texture, and some sneaky zucchini gives these better-than-muffins some extra moisture.

You know what I hate about most banana bread? Damned nuts. This is my blog and I do what I want, so guess what? Good news for those of us who are allergic to almond meal, walnuts and all the other horrible things people to do a simple, healthy banana bread: this paleo banana bread recipe doesn’t have any nuts at all.

Be prepared to be awed at how much you love these. I’ve served them at non-paleo gatherings and people rave…Proof positive that eating grain and nut-free can be delicious.

Quick tip: I make this recipe concurrent with zucchini noodles because for those I julienne the green outsides off and am left with the white insides, which is all I need for baking. So don’t waste those green zucchini shavings! Steam them in the microwave for a couple minutes and top them like you would pasta. It’s pretty much the best thing ever.

Nut-Free Paleo Banana Zucchini Muffins

Serving Size: 12 muffins

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

1 cup zucchini, peeled and shredded (about 2 small or one large zuke)

1 medium very ripe banana

4 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 tablespoons maple syrup

2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter, melted

½ cup coconut flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a standard muffin tin with coconut oil or butter.

In a small bowl, sift together the coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Paleo Zucchini Muffins

In a large mixing bowl, combine the zucchini, banana, eggs, vanilla, syrup and oil or butter. Use an immersion blender to mash everything and blend until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a large regular blender, a food processor or a fork and some elbow grease.

Easy Paleo Banana Muffin RecipeSlowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and whisk until completely incorporated.

Using a ¼ measuring cup, spoon the batter into the greased muffin tins. Each well should be about half full.

Bang the muffin pan in the counter a bit to flatten the muffins before putting them in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the pan so they cook evenly. At 30 minutes check for doneness by pressing the top; it should be springy and not wet, and a an inserted toothpick should come out dry.

Paleo Banana Muffins Without Nuts

Let cool for 10 minutes, then loosen the sides with a butter knife or thin spatula before lifting them out of the pan. Eat them hot or let them cool. I like to serve them with warm berries.

These are really moist and won’t keep more than a couple days at room temperature, not that you need to worry about that. They never last long in our house.

Paleo Banana Bread Recipe

7 Responses to Nut Free Paleo Banana Zucchini Muffins

1. sarah November 20, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

these are delicious! I am loving having them around as a snack – i didnt add maple syrup and they still taste great and they do well frozen and reheated! thanks!

• Amelia E November 21, 2013 at 9:05 am #

So glad you like them, Sarah! I hadn’t thought of freezing them, but that’s a brilliant idea. It would also prevent me from eating all of them immediately. Thanks for the note and take care.

2. Dana September 10, 2015 at 7:19 pm #

These are fantastic! My husband is the reason we are nut-free and he loved these. He was stupified by your baking brilliance. I got only 11 out of the mix and subbed honey for the maple syrup, but I just moved to the mountains from the beach and didn’t check altitude baking issues because I’m lazy. Anyhow, making them again tomorrow and trying out the chocolate chip cookie recipe too. Then I will be systematically trying all your recipes.

Also, your manifesto on your About page is brilliant and so inspirational in explaining the importance of keeping it real and not being a food niche jerk. You are a treasure.

xo, Dana

• Amelia E September 10, 2015 at 9:34 pm #

Best comment ever. Thank you Dana!

• Dana September 11, 2015 at 3:39 pm #

Oops! I meant OMG AMELIA OMG!

So sorry I got your name wrong. Hope we can still be friends!

Also, you might not realize this but your recipe for these muffins is very forgiving. Today I made a batch with a little over 1 1/2 cups of zucchini and of course this time I had too much batter. Instead of putting the extra into a different pan, I filled half the cups pretty much full. And that’s the only way I can use pretty because this batch was not uniformly pretty like the last one but still, SO MUCH YUM. I gave my husband 3 in his lunch, 1 to give away, and he ate them all!

Note to lazy peelers and graters: if you are not using Amelia’s zuke noodle technique, you can leave the skin on and you can also avoid mucking up the flat grater, the box grater, and the mandolin by just pulsing chunks of zucchini in a food processor or blender. That way you get the nutrition in the skin and you can just add the rest of the ingredients to the device afterwards. Time saver for the less handy of us.

• Amelia E September 11, 2015 at 4:37 pm #

We are still friends, for sure. Thanks for these awesome tips!

1. Paleo Banana Muffins Nut Free | Paleo Recipes - August 31, 2014

[…] Nut Free Paleo Banana Zucchini Muffins – Nut Free Paleo – There are so many recipes for paleo zucchini bread and paleo banana muffins that I decided to merge these two beautiful food spheres into one. […]