Homemade Nut-free Faux Larabars

This recipe blows my mind.

energy bars nut free

I wish I could take complete credit for these delicious nut free Larabar impersonators, but if I’m totally honest I have to tell you that my significant other whipped these up. He may or may not have been influenced by my whining about the fact that the nutrition bar aisle is completely overrun by nuts. I love the idea of Larabars, but I’ve never been able to eat one. Ditto for KIND bars, Luna bars, Clif bars, etc.

To clarify, I don’t think that “energy” bars are a necessary part of my (or anyone’s) diet. In fact, I have to be conscious not to dominate more than one of these puppies when we make them because I have no real need for the concentrated calories that these provide. That said, these homemade imitation Larabars without nuts make for a great snack for a long hike or for a post-workout hunger fix. Bonus: They are also ridiculously easy to make in a decent food processor.

Nut-Free Faux Larabars

Optional additions:

chocolate chips

dried apple chips

raisins

apricots

figs

Put all the ingredients into the bowl of a standard food processor with the chopping blade in place. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides periodically. The mass of datey goodness will eventually turn into a doughy ball.

Once that happens, scrape all the contents into a parchment-lined pan. We use a 11”x7” metal one. If you only have a bigger pan, either up the recipe amounts or don’t use the entire pan or your bars will be too thin. Aim for about ¼-½” thickness.

Place the pan in the freezer for a couple hours. Slice into 10 bars and enjoy! For the best texture, keep them in the freezer until you eat them. If you decide to pack them for a snack, I recommend wrapping them in parchment paper and then placing the wrapped bar(s) inside a small plastic bag or tin foil.

homemade energy bars without nuts

13 Responses to Homemade Nut-free Faux Larabars

1. Lisa March 20, 2014 at 11:58 am #

I have been thinking about going paleo for some time now, just need to actually do it! One of the things stopping me is all the nuts in so many recipes. I am not allergic, but my daughter is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts (do I need to distinguish between the two? I’m not sure, but her allergist always does). Being that she’s only 4 years old and an incredibly picky eater , I don’t expect her to follow paleo all the time. But I like to have recipes to make to include her in healthier eating . . . and hopefully she’ll become less picky.

• Amelia E March 20, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

Hi Lisa. Indeed pulling the trigger is perhaps the most daunting (but critical!) step in the whole Paleo thing. Some people do better easing in while others do better just going whole-hog all at once. The latter was most effective for me. Once I cleaned out the pantry I was good to go – I have no will power and needed to make my environment conducive to success. I’m sure you’ll find an approach that works for you. And yes, tree nuts and peanuts are different allergies. Peanuts are actually a legume (as are beans, peas and lentils), and all lentils are not considered “officially” Paleo, so you won’t see them in Paleo recipes. Tree nuts on the other hands are all over the place. I was a super picky eater and didn’t overcome it until later in life. Good luck to you and your daughter on your health journey! Thanks for stopping by and take care.

2. Hayley April 30, 2014 at 3:15 pm #

Hi! I was so excited to find your website; my daughter has a tree-nut allergy and though DH and I did a “Whole30” and have been trying to be paleo for a few months now, we keep getting stuck on how to deal with the plethora of nuts in nearly every paleo quick snack/travel food ideas for our girls. It seems everything calls for almond flour! Excited to look through other recipes you have soon! My question on these bars, though, is whether or not you think they’d work in a Vitamix. My sweet MIL gifted us one, and our food processor is a very, very cheap model, so I’d have more confidence in the Vitamix. Do you know how that might work before I buy (really expensive) sun butter? 🙂

• Amelia E May 2, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

Hi Hayley. So glad you found me! Good question about the Vitamix. Unfortunately I can’t speak from experience because I haven’t tried it, and I’m in the process of moving so I can’t even experiment with my Ninja to find out if it works. I do think it could be a little risky just because the food processor has a nice way of turning the mix into a big blobby ball of dough-like material while it spins around, whereas I suspect a blender-type appliance would more likely throw the ingredients onto the sides of the jar. If you give it a go, do report back! Either way, good luck!

3. Hayley May 5, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

Thanks for the reply! I have some seeds on order that should arrive soon; I’ll maybe give it a try then and see how it goes… 🙂

4. Susan June 5, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

I love these. My family gobbled them up. Great for paleo and whole 30 & there are so many variations.

• Amelia E June 5, 2014 at 10:05 pm #

Susan – so glad to hear it! I finally move into my new place tomorrow and I’ll be reunited with my food processor. These are definitely on my list of treats to make once I’m done unpacking boxes. 🙂

5. Deanna October 13, 2014 at 9:17 am #

Hi Amelia – I love using dates for snack bars! My biggest issue is that the brands of dates I find at our local grocery are almost all “processed on the same equipment as tree nuts’ or even worse, “may contain tree nuts”. (We have 2 kiddos with a tree nut allergy). Where do you find the dates that you use?

• Amelia E October 13, 2014 at 7:47 pm #

Hi Deanna. Arg – those warnings are the worst. I find a lot of them at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and also on store brand products. I’ve had good luck with dates at Costco, but their selection varies by store and season. Most recently I picked some up there from the brand Sun Date. Maybe they’re available online? Good luck! 🙂

6. Julie September 3, 2015 at 8:09 am #

Nut free larabars! A new thing to try! Thank you! Do you know if the shredded coconut is a must? Could we use sunflower seeds or something else? Not a coconut fan but would love something on hand like this. Thank you so much! So glad to have found you!

• Amelia E September 3, 2015 at 3:29 pm #

Glad you found me too, Julie. I haven’t substituted the coconut for anything else, so I can’t speak from experience. Maybe another dried fruit, like dried apples or banana chips or something? If you try something else, report back!

7. Anjuli March 4, 2016 at 10:22 pm #

Just made these- how amazing! I’m on day 5 of Whole30 and, like other commenters, have been struggling with finding amazing nut-free options! I’m an endurance runner so I wanted something that could help sustain… I’m thinking these will do the trick. Thanks! Can’t wait to peruse your other recipes!

• Amelia E March 5, 2016 at 9:25 pm #

Glad to hear it Anjuli. And yes, I expect these would be excellent for endurance athletes like yourself. I am a terrible runner, but I take them on long summer hikes and they’re perfect for that too. Cheers and happy running.

Always 100% Nut Free